I've been struggling for free time this month for poking around with
breadboards and other fun things. To work around this, and still
(hopefully) get my RetroChallenge entry done, I decided to use a
simulator so I could work on it with my laptop whenever and wherever
there was time …
Recently I've been focussed on finishing off my radio controlled model
SpeedTwin ST-2. This guy is not the biggest model I've built in terms of
wingspan, but it wins in terms of chunkiness and complexity. I started
it in 2012, but it stalled at some point because everything was blocked …
While building my model SpeedTwin ST2 I needed to neatly cut some foam.
Since I had a bunch of 6mm laser safe ply available and needed to cut
some other bits the next day I decided to design my own hot wire cutter
and cut the parts out at the …
I've been neglecting this blog recently due to various distractions but
have several projects I want to write up. Around April I found myself
with the urge to build a multicopter. In the end I settled on a
tricopter design as it's a little unusual and because the wider angle …
Having had the ShapeOko for over a year now I've used it for quite a few
projects, but nowhere near as many as I intended. Part of the reason for
this is that the controller for the machine was still rather jury rigged
so setting it up was a hassle …
Recently I've been making a lot of printed circuit boards. One of the
common problems I run into is aligning holes correctly when hand
drilling. This is especially troublesome on boards with large arrays of
pins, such as my hexapod controller (I promise I'll write that up
soon!). A misaligned …
Charlie's SuperGun had me inspired to build my own at some point, but I
thought I'd start at the other end and build some appropriate
controllers first. Partly as a birthday present to myself I decided to
make a pair of arcade control panels.
I was partway through writing a draft for a post about PCB milling when
I realised I hadn't yet written anything about the machine I've been
using, so I think it's about time for a post about the
machine I built.
Beware: unreasonably long post ahead. I probably should've posted this
in chunks, but was hoping to fly the model first. That always seemed to
be just around the corner, but thanks to British weather and seasonal
man-flu that still hasn't happened.
The original Chalupa is a model aircraft I designed …
I've had a sudden burst of motivation this morning, possibly due to a
nice model flying day finally turning up (maybe the second this year!).
I thought I'd use this to make a post since I've not updated in a while.
I have a bunch of projects on the go …
With the wings complete I moved on to restoring the fuselage of the
glider. I'd originally intended to use the existing fuselage and just
straighten it up. Unfortunately, when I came to look at it closer the
plywood construction had warped more than I thought. I started trying to
To finish off the wingtips, I cut off the spars at an angle and cut some
tip skins based on the plans. These were glued and pinned into place
then sanded to provide a smooth finish and to blend in with the leading
and trailing edges.
I seem to have too many model planes nowadays, and storage was fast
becoming a problem. During a bout of boredom, I dug up some screws and
hooks and attached them to the wall above my desk. Now they look cool,
and I have loads of extra space!
I've had a Precedent Hi-Fly model glider lying around waiting to be
repaired for years now. I originally built it with my dad. Well, he did
most of the building; I suspect my main contribution was nagging him to
get it finished. Unfortunately, we didn't really know what we were …
I got close to biting off more than I could chew recently in the process
of making a Secret Santa gift. With Mata as my 'victim' I decided to
make some little action figures of the Mittens and
from one of his animations.